Saturday, May 8, 2010

Get Good Feedback

You don't create and develop program ideas for yourself. You want to reach an audience: either on line, in movie theaters, or at home. Therefore you must develop your idea with the audience in mind. That may seem obvious, but not every creative person grasps that.

When I was a theatre director, I received feedback from everyone that watched rehearsals. But there was no substitute for putting the actors in front of a live audience. The audience's laughs told me what was funny (intentionally or unintentionally). When they were quiet (no coughs, sneezes, or shuffles) I knew they were riveted. And if they walked out, I knew we were losing them.

But what do you do if you're not directing live theatre? Find a small group of two or three trusted friends or colleagues that agree to take the time to review your work. They should be supportive, but even if they don't like your idea they should explain why. Someone who just says "that sucks," or even, "that's great!" without providing details won't help you.

Pay particular attention to the parts of your work when they say, "I'm not sure I understand why that character did that," or "I got lost here. I wasn't sure what was going on." That should be a red flag for you. It's important that the audience understand what is going on and believe the characters' motivation. That's true for reality shows as well as scripted entertainment. The story (as I mentioned in a recent post) is the most important thing.

Remember, that as the creator you have the ultimate say about what goes into your program. At least, I hope you negotiated that into your production deal. Thoughtful feedback will save you from going off track.

No comments:

Post a Comment