Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Life in The Theatre

Tonight I saw the first preview performance of the Broadway production of David Mamet's play A Life in the Theatre starring Patrick Stewart (of Star Trek fame) and TR Knight (Grey's Anatomy). Previews are public performances with a paying crowd but everyone understands that these shows are not in final form. The director and actors expect to make changes before opening night, depending upon the audience response at previews. No matter how well you think things are going in rehearsal, you don't know what's working until you put it in front of an audience. There was much to like about the play, but based on the performance I saw they still have work to do.

In case you haven't seen the play, A Life in Theatre follows the relationship between two actors -- an older actor, played by Stewart and a younger one played by Knight. At the start of the play, the older actor (Stewart) is the star and the young actor (Knight) is naive and eager. Over the course of working together in several plays (some of them quite hilarious) their relationship changes and the mentor becomes the supplicant.

I saw the original production of the play off-Broadway 20 years ago (starring Jose Ferrer). The virtue of that production was its simplicity. There were two actors, a few set pieces that fit all the scenes. In the current Broadway production there are large flats that glide in and out. I felt like we spent as much time watching the scenery move as we did watching the actors. Patrick Stewart and TR Knight did well, but still need to grow into their roles.

But this isn't a theatre review blog; why am I telling you this? To remind us of two things: 1) Keep it simple. The core of your project is the story and characters -- special effects, elaborate scenery and costumes can enhance a good story, but they can't save a bad one. They can hurt a good story, if they're not based on the needs of the piece.

2) No matter how much success you achieved in the past, each new project has its own challenges. I am sure the director, designers, and actors will eventually fix the problems and improve A Life in the Theatre. If these successful artists don't always get it perfect the first time, you shouldn't get down on yourself if you don't, either. Just keep trying to improve every day.

1 comment:

  1. Ah - The old K.I.S.S (Keep it Simple Stupid). In grade school I had always tried to make book reports big and grand. I got OK grades - but the one time I was worn out and just did not want to go through all the motions again - I made a simple "shadow box" - a scene out of things around the house - I got the "A." Everyone loved it - and that's where I learned it was not about me - it was about how the intended audience liked it.

    I still work for me - but I am always asking - and trying - to make my audience happy.

    ReplyDelete