Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Books still matter - why you should publish

A few months ago CHB Media published my first poetry collection, Two Car Garage. The books received some good reviews on Amazon.com and I'm getting excellent response in poetry readings. I'm very proud of it. Of course, writing the book was a labor of love. It's a great feeling to hear from someone that your words have moved them. I've also learned something from this experience that's worth sharing with all my readers: Having a book published gives you credibility. I set that sentence apart because I want you to remember it. I may tell people I'm a poet, but having a book published proves it. Even when I'm talking to people about content creation in general, or discussing program distribution, the fact that I've authored a book on any subject impresses people. Having a book published should impress people. It's proof that you can sustain your creativity and finish a project. It's proof that someone else (the publisher), likes your work enough to put their own money behind printing it. In my case, it demonstrates an artistic side that people who knew me only as a media executive might not otherwise see. What I'm saying about books, of course, also is true for short films, websites, digital projects, CDs, etc. If you want proof of your creativity, make something. Thanks to the digital world, it's never been easier to get your book in print, or your film distributed. Print on Demand services abound through the major players like amazoncom and bn.com, but also through a host of other websites and local publishing companies. My publisher is CHB Media, but there are many others. If you want a career creating content, show people what you can do. As always I welcome your comments and questions. You can order a copy of Two Car Garage at http://www.amazon.com/Two-Car-Garage-Peter-Gordon/dp/0988631512/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369873560&sr=8-1&keywords=two+car+garage. It's also available at bn.com, chbmediaonline.com, and just about any other website that sells books. Amazon has a kindle version.

No comments:

Post a Comment